As I have mentioned in my previous posts, there is no cure for PCOS...yet. There are many ways to treat and control the side affects. Below I will list the most common complaints of PCOS, as well as some herbal remedies that can help.
NOTE - As mentioned before, do not being any herbal remedy or supplement without speaking with your Doctor. If you are currently taking any medication (including birth control, and ANY infertility medication or if you have a pre-existing condition, do not start these herbal remedies without first talking to a doctor.
- Vitex (ChasteBerry) - This is a well-known herb that has been used for centuries for hormonal imbalances in women. It is also one of the most important herbs for PCOS because it helps stimulate and stabilize the function of the pituitary gland which controls the release of LH (luteinizing hormone). The ability of chaste tree berry to raise progesterone levels in the body is an indirect effect, so the herb itself is not a hormone.
- Dandelion root - A great liver tonic! This helps cleanse your liver and remove the build up and toxins that accumulate. A lot of menstrual problems/infertility issues are made worse because the excess hormones tend to "back up" in your liver. Dandelion Root will help keep your liver working properly which will help it rid your body of all the excess "crud" you don't need. It can also help control and possibly prevent NASLD.
- Milk Thistle - A key herb for the liver; one that is so important for the treatment of PCOS. Milk Thistle helps your liver cells against damage, and promotes healing of damaged cells. This improves the overall function of your liver (Extremely beneficial in the control or prevention of NASLD)
- Saw Palmetto - This herbal remedy stops the production of, and helps breakdown DHT. It has also been shown to have anti-estrogenic effects. (Anti-estrogenic means countering the excess estrogen. Women with PCOS often have higher estrogen levels. These elevated levels can stop the elimination of DHT) Saw Palmetto; in addition to reducing the overall levels of testosterone/DHT, has been shown to regulate your estrogen levels. This can further assist in the regulation/removal of the excess DHT, regulate your hormones, increase your labido, and help with weight loss.
- White Peony Tea - This has been shown to positively influence low progesterone, as well as reduce elevated androgens (testosterone) and acts to regulate estrogen and prolactin levels.